Thursday 12 February 2015

The Midnight Visitor - Part 2


(Excerpt From Part 1 Mother had come into the room by now and we both rushed to see what had happened. Kasali lay on the ground below, sprawled on the floor unconsciously with his life oozing out of him as father reeled from the window and landed another slap on my face. “I hope he is dead!” with that father left and I slumped to the floor crying and praying Kasali would be alright.) To read part 1 CLICK HERE

Father ordered Akin to close the doors and the windows as he watched me from his room which he had left the door ajar. I shut my own door just to conceal my shame from his probing eyes which still held a glare of fury in it.  I allowed myself fall to the floor listlessly and tears trickled down my cheeks without abandon as I tried to stop the surge with the edge of my wrapper.


Father’s chiding hurt badly and at that moment which I was unsure of the condition of my lover, I felt like chanting an ode to the love of my life. I let my head tell my heart what to do. My tears died down slowly and turned into soft sobs as I tried to muffle my sounds with the edge of the wrapper so as not to arouse father’s anger again. I wanted to go see if Kasali was well and my rebellious heart wanted nothing more than to ask for us to elope. I loved him that much and he never failed to tell me he loved me too. He is my life. I was scared that what we had might not be strong enough to forgo father’s blessing and do without mother’s grace at the cheap and closeted wedding I was planning in my head. That part of my brain that was still functioning well with reason held me back.

The led light of my phone suddenly caught my attention and I rushed to the dresser. Grabbing the phone, my hands shook as I saw it was Kasali that had sent me a text message. The phone clattered to the ground in my hurry to input the pin and I swore under my breath as I picked it up and tried to still my shaking hands. My misted eyes scanned the text “I can’t do this anymore.” That was all it said, but it was enough to send my thoughts spinning like a whirlwind. I could not understand what it meant. “I can’t do this anymore.” Many thought passed through my mind; it could mean a million and one things. Could this mean he was leaving me?  Was he tired of the hide and seek games and finally ready to face father square on? I made for my closet and quickly discarded the wrapper as I threw on a brassiere and slipped into a gown and flat slippers.

I peeked from the key hole to see if father was asleep and I said a prayer of thank you as I saw that his door was closed. I tiptoed out of my room and tried to muffle the sound as much as I could. The wooden door creaked in protest and the sound was like the explosion of a gun going off in my ears as I paused for a moment to see if anyone had detected my actions. I passed father’s room and then Akin’s before I heard father’s voice behind me “Where do you think are you going young lady?” he demanded. My heart stopped in my chest and I stood stock still before my rebel heart flared up again and I spun around to face him with my face flashing “I am not telling you” I barked at him.  I was surprise at the sound of my own voice as this was something I would not have done on a normal day. But today wasn’t a normal day, I had seen my lover lying as if he were dead and now a text message from him saying he couldn’t do this anymore. The adrenaline was pumping furiously in my body. Father’s face registered his surprise and his face contorted in a mask of rage for the umpteenth time that night “If you go out of this house, don’t bother coming back” father barked back at me. His words hit me hard and my legs wobbled.

My first thought was to bow my head in defeat and walk back to my room silently but then I realized I had allowed father control me for too long. He was always the one that had the final say and the young woman emerging in me wasn’t going to have any of that anymore. I had to find out the meaning of Kasali’s text, I had to know he was alright and most of all I had to speak out and free myself of father’s prison. Mother was behind him watching the whole scene with saucer big eyes and I realized then she was just another slave that obeyed his every command. Kasali’s text had said “I cannot do this anymore.” Father words were “If you go don’t come back to this house”. I had to see my midnight lover, I had to do this for me and without another word, I ran down the flight of steps without a backwards glance. As I busted out through the door, I felt truly free for the first time in forever.

Edited by: Akinwale Akinyoade
Written by: Ademola Richards
Instagram: @IAMDEMORIZZY 
Twitter: @DeMorizzy


N.B - The story Midnight Visitor was not meant to have a part two but after a call by readers for a continuation of the story, I got my friend Ademola Richards to write the concluding part.

Keep updated, follow on Twitter and Instagram with @iamposhkid. You can also join other readers in subscribing to my BBM Channel for instant updates. Simply search for "Akin's Corner" or with pin: C00396EEB.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't just read and leave, I would like to hear from you. Do drop your comments and thoughts on the post you just read.