Monday 2 February 2015

The Midnight Visitor


The persistent soft knock on the window brought me out of dreamland. My foggy brain took a minute longer than normal to register that the sound that woke me was the knock on the window. I yawned and stretched on the bed lazily before the soft knock came again. My head jerked instinctively to the direction of the noise and a frown marred by face as I pondered what could be making the noise. A quick look at my bedside clock read 1:47 a.m. Alarmed I jumped off from bed as my thoughts flew to a possible burglary. The knock came again, this time a bit harder and forceful and I tiptoed to the window and heard the soft hissing sound of Kasali’s voice came.

My heart fluttered in my chest as I heard Kasali’s voice “Bimpe open the window, it is me Kasali.” I quickly unlatched the window from inside and let him in as I made directly for my bedroom door and locked it. He was standing there, looking just as handsome as when I last saw him. “What are you doing here Kasali, have you gone insane?” I asked trying to control the excited tremor in my voice. If my father met Kasali in my room, he would be absolutely mad. Father couldn’t stand Kasali because of he was a welder’s son and considered him beneath me, a university undergraduate. If only father knew that despite’s Kasali’s lack of education, he was a smart and caring young man with a good heart. But what did father know about love? Absolutely nothing!

Kasali stood there unsure of what to do and I realized my questions must have scared him. I went to him and hugged him close to him forgetting we were under my father’s roof and that he had climbed a three-storey building just to come see me. My heart fluttered momentarily as the thought of him falling off while climbing entered my head and I shuddered irreverently. He mistook my shaking for cold and he wrapped his arms tightly around me as I sagged into him and let him hold me close. No words were exchanged as we held each other close with no other witness but the moon far up in the sky, its light rays peeking into my room to catch a glimpse of our forbidden affair.

I took his hand and led him to my bed as we both sat down softly and spoke in hushed whispers. In his usual manner, he was witty and humourous and I forgot myself for a second and laughed out loud. My heart stopped in my chest as I realized what I had done and we both stood stoic still as we waited to hear the footsteps come to my room but nothing happened. After about five minutes of waiting for the impending doom and nothing happened, we continued our conversation and loving embraces.

“Open the door this very minute Bimpe!” father’s booming voice came from the other side as he rapped hard on my door. Kasali and I sprung apart and I could see the fright on his face. He was like a rabbit caught in the headlights of an oncoming vehicle and he made for the window. I shook in fright as I made for the door and paused for just a minute to make sure Kasali was out the window before I opened the door. Father barged into the room and looked around before, his whole body raging with anger. He looked round the room before turning to face me “Where is he? Where is the bastard?” Without waiting for an answer his palm connected with my cheek and whatever answer I had been about to give died in my throat. His eyes caught the open window then and he headed straight for it. Peeking out he boomed “God help me if I catch you riffraff.”


That was the last I heard before a scream came from outside and then the sickening thud of a body hitting concrete. It was Kasali’s voice and I heard a woman’s scream from outside. Mother had come into the room by now and we both rushed to see what had happened. Kasali lay on the ground below, sprawled on the floor unconsciously with his life oozing out of him as father reeled from the window and landed another slap on my face. “I hope he is dead!” with that father left and I slumped to the floor crying and praying Kasali would be alright.    
Part Two: CLICK HERE

Keep updated, follow on Twitter and Instagram with @iamposhkid. You can also join other readers in subscribing to my BBM Channel for instant updates. Simply search for "Akin's Corner" or with pin: C00396EEB.

2 comments:

  1. Catchy first chapter but what happened to Kasali

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poshkid come and update o..ur children r tasty 4 more pls.....God help Kasali o..ah,crying#

    ReplyDelete

Don't just read and leave, I would like to hear from you. Do drop your comments and thoughts on the post you just read.