Saturday 28 February 2015

The Ones I Never Got to Know


Little cousin of mine
It’s been a while you left
Nonetheless not forgotten with the passage of time
Too young for that place of rest
But they always say God knows best
This burden of sorrow lies heavy on my chest

A mere child of months gone so soon, why didn’t you wait till the morrow
You became that one I never got to know
I remember your smile
That period you stayed with us awhile
In ignorance I avoided you like the plague
You were but only an old woman frail
You cautioned your son, my father against dealing with me in rage
Not till you left for the world beyond, did I let out my wail
Dear old granny
Would you return for just but one day?

Her red hair reminds one of a flower blossoming in the sunlight
Sadly she withered and lost the fight
We mourn her demise, death had no right!
To extinguish a budding light
Now I wish with fervor I had known her
Sadly out of reach now; gone far
Like us she had had dreams, a leader of tomorrow
Now a distant memory; the one I never got to know

While the rest of us yet continues this race
It doesn’t matter whether at a slow or fast pace
We are bound together in our common destiny
Should we therefore not strive for unity and harmony?
Our differences should not make us stand apart
I don’t want to be another stranger
Don’t wait till when I am dead and gone to mourn
So I don’t become that one you wish you had known

Dedicated to all those who have felt the pain of losing a loved one. Stay strong as we continue to say R.I.P to our beloveds departed.

Keep updated, follow on Twitter and Instagram with @iamposhkid. You can also join other readers in subscribing to my BBM Channel for instant updates. Simply search for "Akin's Corner" or with pin: C00396EEB

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't just read and leave, I would like to hear from you. Do drop your comments and thoughts on the post you just read.