Sunday 9 February 2014

Letter to my Child; Writings of an Alcoholic


Dear little one of mine
Today I feel right and fine
Without liquor in hand
In a right state of mind
I take this pen to paper
While you are yet still in diapers
I write to you in utmost discretion
While your mother pays this insane mind no attention



Follow not in my path little one
For me, my life is done
Bad decisions my undoing
I reflect on them as I lie on this bed musing
Take not to the bottle
Never, not after you leave the enchantment of the rattle
Take delight not in the arms of a loose woman
Be upright and a good family man

Shun not the wisdom of an educated mind
For in books, great knowledge shall thee find
My time is up and I lie here old and frail
My death shall not herald societal wail
A man of no dignity and no importance
Strive to be a man of influence
Never accept to be a dreg of society
Be a man with fine principles of morality

Death’s winged chariot hurries near
Weary I smile, I live with no fear
Just this emptiness that fills me and regrets
Of vain pleasures that I sought
In the days of my youth while yet in my prime
Do well so that thou may thrive
The world gives us all equal opportunities
Waste yours not on frivolities


Mood: Encouragement, Optimism and Depression

Taken from my old blog



Poshkid Gidigenius is a National Diplma holder in Mass Communication from Yaba College of Technology. He currently majors in English at the University of Lagos. You can follow him on Twitter and Instagram @gidigenius   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't just read and leave, I would like to hear from you. Do drop your comments and thoughts on the post you just read.