Tuesday 19 November 2013

A Runs Girl Tale Series: Episode 1


Having always been told that I was pretty all my life and not just the usual kind of pretty but the kind that made men actually made men turn and stare, I was not immune to my own charm and I never hesitated to use it to my advantage whenever the occasion presented itself.


Before I go on rambling about my own beauty and men’s irresistible attraction to it, let me give you a brief background information about me. My name is Comfort Idahosa and I came from a family of four, as the only girl my mother dotted on me lovingly and I was particularly close to her. I hated my father though and yes I mean hate because he was always gruff and grumpy, had a foul breath and always breathing alcohol. He hit mother a lot of times and that just made him a monster to me, she was always crying and pretending to be happy and that was why I swore never to love any man. She allowed him treat her this way because she was in love with him, to me she was more of his unappreciated slave because she was always working round the clock. There were always clothes to wash, dishes to be washed, floor to be swept, and other menial jobs.

My father never let any of my brothers do anything because according to him , all these things were women’s job so they grew up spoilt and lazy. Mother finally broke under all the pressure when I was seventeen and succumbed to the cold hands of death. Dad didn’t even have the decency to be sober on the day of her funeral and everybody could tell he was drunk and barely in control. My disgust and hatred for men only increased that day and my mission was set; never to let any man into my life and that was it.

Luckily I had secured admission into the University of Lagos by then to study Political Science, mother had died a month before my resumption so I threw myself into school activities when school resumed and was only too glad to have left home. I was free from the bad memories that plagued me from that house and school offered a sort of solace. The men were there, always mesmerized by my beauty they flocked around me and I always had at least three new admirers every day. They walked up to me bearing cash gifts, flowers and chocolates, perfumes and many other things just to impress me but I wasn’t having none of it though I was barely surviving on the stipends that my father sent me whenever he deemed fit.

I had made friends with one other pretty girl in my class, Sandra Immaculate and she was the outgoing type. Sandra was very pretty too and was one of those classy girls that always seemed to be fresh all the time. She wasn’t working that I know of but always had enough money to spend. It was one day when we were together and a 300 level student from department of Architecture who had been disturbing me walked up to us and started his love professing again that Sandra opened my eyes to the world of runs.

When I told him I wasn’t interested and rejected his enveloped gift and teddy bear that he bought, Sandra looked at me incredulously and calmly collected the items from Kunle with a saccharine sweet smile and told him I would get back to him. When he was gone she told me that I could make money off men with my beauty and should stop being stupid to act the innocent girl. I protested that I didn’t want to love but she laughed and asked who was saying anything about love, she said we were going out that night as there was one Alhaji she would like to introduce me to….this was the beginning

To read part two....CLICK HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't just read and leave, I would like to hear from you. Do drop your comments and thoughts on the post you just read.